Sometimes it takes the words of another person to fully embody what we are feeling. Such is the case with travel. The experience can be moving, transformative, eye-opening: so profound that you struggle to put it succinctly into words. Lucky for us, those who came before have done the impossible in pithy, quotable sound bites that will inspire you endlessly.
Inspirational Travel Quotes
Let the following quotes swirl around your head. You’ll surely feel inspired—if not to set out on the road, then to plan your next adventure and fill your dreams with the wonder of possibility.
- “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
- “Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures.” – Lovelle Drachman
- “I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth, then I ask myself the same question.” – Harun Yahya
- “May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.” – Trenton Lee Stewart
- “It doesn’t matter where you are. You are nowhere compared to where you can go.” – Bob Proctor
- “This is your planet. You really should come see it sometime.” – G Adventures
- “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it. ” – John Mayer
- “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
Relatable Travel Quotes
Travel is, to some extent, a universal experience. Where we go and how we get there may vary, but the way that our travels shape us is a pattern drawn by thousands of years of human tradition. The following quotes speak to that commonality.
- “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” – Anita Desai
- “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves.” – Pico Iyer
- “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float. To gain all while you give. To roam the roads of lands remote. To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
- “Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.” – Alexander Solzhenitsyn
- “Once the travel bug bites, there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin.
- “How is it possible to feel nostalgia for a world I never knew?” – Ernesto Che Guevara.
- “All you’ve got to do is decide to go and the hardest part is over.” – Tony Wheeler
- “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things – air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese
- “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou
- “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener
Clever Travel Quotes
The way that these creatives have expressed themselves capture the essence of travel perfectly.
- “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
- “Traveling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station.’” – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran
- “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
- “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” – Rachel Wolchin
- “It feels good to be lost in the right direction.” – Anonymous
Dreamy Travel Quotes
Sometimes the experience of travel fills our souls with such amazement at the scope and beauty of the universe that it feels like our bodies are inadequate to contain it. These quotes will top off your spirit with wonder.
- “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
- “The most beautiful thing in the world is, of course, the world itself.” – Wallace Stevens
- “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.” – Melody Truong
- “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “We must not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time.” – T. S. Eliot
- “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
Let your sense of wonder lead you to become a better traveler and world citizen.
Author Name: Stephanie Oliveira Nguyen
Author Bio: Steph is a lifestyle writer who honestly believes that an open mind is humanity’s greatest asset. When she’s not writing, she’s homeschooling her kids in sunny Florida.