Never stayed at a hostel before? Now’s the time to try it! Hostels are great for meeting new people while traveling, saving money, and pointing you towards fun local events. Convinced? Find out what to expect, how to book, and what to pack to have your best ever hostel experience.
Doing some online research in advance is a great way to ensure you have a great stay—and don’t have any unpleasant surprises on your trip. Websites such as Booking.com are great resources for reviews and lists of amenities. And it’s important to thoroughly read through the lists of amenities (or lack thereof), because hostels don’t always have the same ones you might expect in a hotel.
Important Things Check When Staying in a Hostel
● It sounds basic, but does the hostel have heat or AC?
● There are usually lockers in the room—do they provide locks or do you need to bring one?
● Is there a bathroom in the room or a shared one in the hall?
● Is there a shared kitchen, so you can cook your own meals if you choose to?
● How many people are there per room? More people per room will lower your cost.
● Do they offer single-gender rooms? There are usually a few options, so decide in advance what you would be comfortable with.
There are few things it’s important to bring with you to make sure you have a good time—and sleep well! A luggage lock is always a good idea to keep your belongings safe. It can also double as a locker lock when you arrive at your hostel. And speaking of lockers, a soft travel pack is generally a better choice than a hard suitcase, so you can fit it into the locker. You’ll definitely want flip flops for the shower, and a hanging toiletry case is great for use in shared bathrooms. With many people sleeping in one room, ear plugs and an eyeshade are must-haves for getting a decent night’s sleep.
And hostels aren’t just for students and young travelers! They can be a fun choice for adults traveling alone and even a great budget option for families. So why not take the leap and book a hostel for your next trip.
3 Dial TSA Lock and Cable
Easy Blink Eyeshade
Travel Ear Plugs
Global Companion 65L
Pack-It Original Wallaby
Related Links (from Eagle Creek blog):
How to Make Friends Abroad
Choose a Hostel for Your Next Family Vacation: Here’s Why
How to Plan a Safe Solo Trip