June 3rd, 2016
What to Pack for Your First Ragnar Relay Race
Ready to tackle 200 miles with your teammates? This packing guide will help you stress less so you can train harder.
Maybe you had a streak of crazy come through your fingers as you clicked “register,” or perhaps it’s been your dream to run a Ragnar Relay—typically a 200-mile (322-kilometer) race that teams of 12 or six people complete together, relay-style. The race takes place over two days and one night and you and your teammates travel through the course supporting each other in vans when you're not running. Regardless of your motive for signing up, completing the race is a pretty incredible feat, and one that requires serious training to prepare for your legs.
But the necessary preparation doesn’t stop with your long runs: Packing properly for a Ragnar is also hugely important. Here’s what you’ll need to enjoy your time on the road—while you’re running, resting, and cheering on your teammates.
What to Wear
Each Ragnar participant typically runs three legs of the race, and you’ll want a fresh outfit for each one. And, because you and your teammates will be running and then carrying your worn gear with you in a van, odor can quickly become an issue. Opt for quick-drying, sweat-wicking clothes, and use a Pack-It Sport™ Wet Dry Fitness Locker to keep your sweaty clothes separate from your dry ones, so you don’t start out on the second leg of the race smelling like you just flew through the finish line. In addition to your main running gear, be sure to pack these clothing essentials, too:
- Extra socks
- Two pairs of running shoes, so you can alternate each pair between legs
- Extra underwear
- Sport sunglasses and/or a sweat-wicking hat
- Sandals, to let your feet breathe between legs
- Hair ties, bobby pins, and headbands
- Comfortable clothes for downtime—outfits you can sleep in, as well as clothes to wear during any post-race festivities (don't forget layers for cool temperatures)
- Rain gear—a lightweight wind- and water-resistant coat, an umbrella, and waterproof shoes
What to Bring for the Van
You’ll be spending a lot of time in that van as you cheer your teammates on and make your way toward the finish line. The Pack-It Sport™ Roll Top Sac is perfect for packing miscellaneous items you’ll need. Since it’s more of a sack than a structured case, you can easily toss it in a duffel bag or tote wherever there’s extra space. It’ll keep all of your small things together and protected from the rest of your sweaty gear or potentially leaky water bottles, thanks to its waterproof nature. Fill one—or a couple of them—with these essentials:
- Pillow and blanket
- Portable wireless or Bluetooth speakers, if your van doesn’t have the ability to connect to your phone for music
- Playing cards and other easy-to-pack games
- Phone charger
- Reusable water bottle
- Plenty of snacks and pre- and post-running fuel
What You Need to Run
Aside from your running clothes, there are a few tools that will help you lace up and let loose on the road. A sport daypack will help keep your gear together and easily accessible, so you can quickly get it out and ready before you hit the trail. Here’s what to bring to help you be safe, speedy, and pain-free:
- Hydration belt
- GPS watch or heart rate monitor
- Foam roller for post-run stretching
- Reflective headbands or a vest for evening running
What To Bring For Everything Else
Since you’re going to be on the road for a few days—and sharing a small space with your teammates—it’s important to have all your essential toiletries efficiently packed and ready for use. Keep these items in the Pack-It Sport™ Quick Trip.
- Baby or shower wipes, for freshening up post-run
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Toilet paper
- Hand sanitizer
- Lotion (for any chaffing relief you may need)
For more packing tips and tricks, check out this ultimate packing list.
Your turn, readers. Do you have any race-day essentials that you can’t go without—or any Ragnar-specific tips? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Related Links (from Eagle Creek blog)
Sign Up & Receive
Free 2-Day Shipping
on Your First Order