inspired by travel™
Eagle Creek is a leading travel outfitter, providing smart, innovative and durable luggage, bags and accessories since 1975.
No Sweat! How to Pack the Ultimate Gym Bag
Whether you’re a spin class fantastic or just want to hit the weights, you’ll need the right gear to maximize your workout. Here’s what to take to the gym for a powerful workout—and an easy cleanup session afterward.
When it comes to working out, they say that, “putting on your shoes is half the battle.” Well, we might argue the other half of the battle is packing the perfect gym bag – a mission that just got a whole lot easier thanks to our nine-point checklist. It all starts with choosing the bag itself. Rather than selecting something that’s designed exclusively for working out, opt for a carrier that can do double duty for exercise and travel, like the versatile 2-in-1 Backpack Duffel, the budget friendly Packable Duffel, or the classic No Matter What Duffel. Once you’ve selected your bag, fill it with these exercise essentials.
1. Refillable Water Bottle Be friendly to your wallet and, your planet with a refillable bottle for the most efficient rehydrating liquid there is—water.
2. Flip-Flops A simple pair of flip flops will keep your feet safe from bacteria when showering at the gym (and give your toes a much needed breather on the way home).
3. Workout Fuel Avoid eating unhealthy treats when pre- or post-workout hunger strikes by keeping high protein, healthy snacks on hand such as apples, nuts, and protein bars, in your workout bag.
4. Microfiber Towel Does your gym hand out towels? If not, pack a quick-drying and bacteria-resistant microfiber towel for drying off after a shower or a strenuous round on the treadmill. It folds up to a fraction of the size of a traditional gym towel—and dries more quickly, too.
5. Hand Sanitizer If your gym doesn’t provide disinfectant wipes for cleaning weights and machines, combat germs with a small bottle of hand sanitizer by your side.
6. Spare Toiletries Keep an extra set of your shower products in your gym bag’s toiletry kit at all times to avoid that post-treadmill, pre-board meeting realization: that you forgot deodorant.
7. A Shoe Bag Keep bacteria and odors contained with a Pack-It™ Shoe Sac for your sweaty sneakers. The rest of your gym bag will thank you.
8. Gloves and Band-Aids Weight lifting gloves will improve grip and help avoid blisters (and band-aids will pick up the slack should they fail).
9. Headphones It’s unlikely you’ll ever forget your music-loaded smartphone when you hit the gym, but you might not have any way to listen to your tunes without a set of headphones.These are also great for tuning into the TV stationed on or above cardio workout machines.
What do you pack when you head to the gym? Did we forget any of your essentials? Fill us in via the comments below!
Alexandra Baackes is a traveling writer, designer, and underwater videographer. She is currently in her third year of living as a full-time nomad.